I came across an article the other day that enumerated a bunch of obscure facts. Well, I think they were facts. In reality, some of them sounded kind of fishy, but perhaps they were written by lawyers and are therefore open to interpretation. Anyway, I thought I would share some of them with you in the interests of advancing your knowledge, and of course, eliminating me as the only source of useless information. I’ll have to say that some of them raised more questions then they answered, so I will include them as well. Perhaps you have the answers. Here we go.
1) If you sit for more than 11 hours a day, there’s a 50% chance you’ll die within the next 3 years.
I think this one is suspect. I had employees that could easily do this and I never lost one of them.
2) There are at least 6 people in the world who look exactly like you. There is a 9% chance that you’ll meet one of them in your lifetime.
I thought there were more twins then that.
3) If a part of your body “falls asleep”, you can almost always “wake it up” by shaking your head.
OK, so what if it is your head that dozed off?
4) A human brain has a capacity to store 5 times as much information as Wikipedia.
Yup, and it’s probably about as accurate.
5) Our brain uses the same amount of power as a 10-watt light bulb.
I guess that is possible although I have met a lot of people that appeared to be saving energy.
6) Our body gives off enough heat in 30 minutes to boil 1.5 liters of water.
If this is true, it is imperative that the number of people in the hot tub always surpasses the amount of water by at least a 3 to 1 ratio.
7) According to Albert Einstein, if honey bees were to disappear from earth, humans would be dead within 4 years.
Unfortunately, we would lose Pooh Bear in about two weeks.
8) Sleeping without a pillow reduces back pain and keeps your spine stronger.
This does not apply however if your head is on your desk.
9) Your shoes are the first thing people subconsciously notice about you.
Oh I don’t know. I’ve met a lot of good looking ladies in my life and I couldn’t even tell you if they were wearing shoes.
10) Laziness and inactivity kills just as many people as smoking.
So if someone dies while lolling around smoking a cigarette, how will we know what killed them?
11) Right handed people tend to chew food on the right side.
I didn’t even know there was a right or wrong side.
12) There are three things the human brain cannot resist noticing. Food, attractive people, and danger.
I guess that proves my point about the shoe thing.
13) You can survive without eating for weeks, but you will only live 11 days without sleeping.
Re the sleeping thing, where you do it has a lot to do with the 11 day window.
14) Those who laugh a lot are healthier than those who don’t.
I guess that’s why you never hear giggles from the graveyard.
So there you have it for what it’s worth. I for one am going to concentrate on number 14.